SAWAB has developed expertise in disaster response and management and in quickly delivering emergency relief and rehabilitation services to victims of natural disasters. In 2007 Bangladesh was hit by the super cyclone Sidr and at that time SAWAB provided relief and comfort to thousands of affected people. SAWAB in partnership with Zakat Foundation, USA provided food support to 500 families followed by rehabilitation work. In 2013, SAWAB stood beside the victims of Rana Plaza Collapse at Savar, Dhaka. Twelve families were supported by SAWAB. Out of them six were the families of the dead victims and six were of the major injured people. It’s mentionable that Rana Plaza collapse was the most fatal building collapse in Bangladesh where 1126 garments workers lost their lives. It drew huge international attention and media coverage. It took several days to complete the recovery of dead bodies from the debris.
Your donation will be encouragement for us.
Climatic Change Adaptation Program :
Introduction of Contextual Understanding of Climatic-Changes Effects & Vulnerability:
The Climate Change defines here is any change of climate over the time period that affects the human livelihoods as well as the physical changes of the earth. The climate variability understanding here to represents the variations in the mean of state and other statistics (such as occurrence of extremes, from both sides high and low etc.) of the climate on all temporal and spatial scales. The adaptation is a process to cope with the changing environment which directly influences or made adjustment of favorable conditions and friendly to survive, growth and promotion of the human, animal and other living and non living organism. The Mitigation is interventions to reduce the sources or enhance the sinks of greenhouse gases, adversity, unfavorable condition to favorable, measuring steps and essential support for making the strength of undesired obstacles and constraints for improve the friendly situation.
The technical definition of climatic change is Carbon dioxide gas emission has increased from 280 ppm before industrial revolution to about 390 ppm. It assumes that the rising rate may reach 600+ ppm by the end of this century. The global average temperature is already up by about 1 degree centigrade. It is crudely protected that it may go up to by 6 degree Celsius due to the concentration of CO2 gas which is rapidly goes up. There should be immediate attempts taken to fix the ceiling at 350/450 ppm and the temperature should be at 1.5/2.0 degree Celsius. This is highly important to control the peak in emission by 2030 through initiating several preventive and precautionary actions which directly or indirectly reduced the bad effects of climatic changes.
The consequences of the climatic changes of effects the negative impact over the territory and inhabitants including the physical disturbances on earth, these are: already been happened frequency of extreme climatic events increase e.g. same location facing floods and drought in shorter frequency; Intensity of extreme climatic events increasing; e.g. short duration heavy rainfall specially in urban areas, Occurrence of erratic and unusual behavior of weather is increased frequently e.g. rain occurs at unexpected time and it is not occurring at expected time; Snow and Ice is melting; in the long run the volume of snow melt water will be very low; threat of GLOF will increase; Sea Level is rising which already affecting the coastal territorial livings and livelihoods in severe vulnerability and threaten. The above all factors and risks are directly relevance to Bangladesh and its coastal areas specially it more considerable to proposed district Cox’s Bazar, Patuakhali, Bagerhat, Satkhira, Khulna, and some northern district in Bangladesh which is the front face of the proposed interventions and which it obviously needed to take remedial actions to overcome and coping from the probable adversity and unfavorable effects of the climatic changes devastation.
- To improve awareness on climatic changes adversity of vulnerable communities’ livelihood to adapt coping mechanism
- Earth filing the education institution ground/premises like schools, college and religious institution premises to reduced inundation of tidal bores that improve the hygiene conditions.
- Develop local volunteers and make them local agent for climate resilient community.
- Plantation of number of tree sapling both in institution and community level at home based.
- Supporting climate resilient housing to selected ultra poor families comprising one low cost safe latrine.
- To installation of Deep Tube-wells in selected upazilas in severe vulnerable Communities that mitigation of safe drinking water crisis of the households
- Provide Sanitary Latrines for the vulnerable and distress poorer households that improved the hygiene conditions of the said communities in three selected Upazilas.
- Establishment of climate counselling centre in the area for long time knowledge based for the local people.
Expected Outputs and Results:
- Community peoples will be aware of climatic changes adversity and developed attitudes and skills to cope with vulnerability thus improved livelihoods and living standard
- About school children enjoy healthy school ground and community people enjoy healthy religious premises ground.
- Vulnerable residents of Upazila have been privileged of safe water thus improved the hygiene and health conditions including diarrheal and dysentery intensification.
- About poorer inhabitants improved the hygiene conditions by using sanitary latrines thus reduced the prevalence of contagious diseases (diarrhea, malaria, Cholera and typhoid in three selected Unions.
- The sapling plantation increased green space and made coastal surroundings barrier thus reduced the severe vulnerability of devastating effects of natural calamities and climatic change effects including cyclones and tornados.
- local agents will be developed to reduce climate vulnerability by counselling and copying climate awareness.
Awareness and Orientation of community people:
Community based awareness raising campaigns will be conducted in targeted high risk areas to increase awareness on community-based early warning, the importance of community needs in an emergency response and early recovery, and to identify disaster hazards to livelihoods and education systems and identify preparedness steps. There are different type of awareness activities will carried out by the project like develop and disseminations of IEC like posters, fillip chartd, pot song, street theatre, simulation drill etc. These activities will be undertaken at the ward, Union, and school level, and will engage youth groups, teachers, school management committees, community based organizations, Local Elected Bodies and Local Administration.
Development of awareness, improve knowledge and skill about Climatic Changes adaptation to reduced vulnerability .Under the activities, the selected number of community peoples specially the possible victims and the already victims with suffering have been identified and organize groups for providing training on developing awareness and improving attitudes and knowledge to coping with the emergency and difficult periods mitigation approach. The target groups if the activities will be the residents and the women member who genuinely required skills and know how to escaping themselves from the critical and risky event management and saving lives and resources.
Establishment of climate counselling and motivational centre.
The project will undertake a stocktaking of available training materials developed by various organizations and compile relevant training materials for training on TOT and staff capacity building on climate change effects and resilient mechanism. The project will also develop, and disseminate co-curricular materials on disaster preparedness for the proposed areas. The project will also develop a cadre of volunteers on disaster preparedness and management during disaster at school and community level.
Considering long term sustainability we plan to established a permanent counselling and motivational centre under the project. These resource centers will serve as multipurpose facilities, and will be used as a meeting venue, training facility and other needs identified by the communities. This centre will also use as resource centre for the area on climate change adaptation and copying mechanism.
The skills obtained by volunteers and knowledge gathered by the community people, teachers and student of the selected school, madrasha and colleges and religious institution in the program will be remain in the area to support and continue the learning for their daily life. In addition, the proposed counselling and motivation centre remain in the areas to help and guide community people as and when they required any knowledge based support.
It was recognized that sustainable development would require training and education at all levels of society, and knowledge of copying and adaptation mechanism, the deep tube well, low cost sanitary latrine, high raising the different institution, plantation of is often rich to the local people. But techniques for CCA initiatives, learning and using copying knowledge are still quite primitive and therefore these are the interventions we planned.
Adaptation and Mitigation Measures:
Delivering adaptation measures for enhancing capacity of grassroots poor and climate change vulnerable victims to cope with the impacts of climate change adversity in the said project area, the following adaptation and mitigation measures will be implemented as immediate to medium and longer-term goals
Forestation on coastal household, institution, road side and selected embankment/polder based roads specially built in both side of earthen and brick binding road, it will be also encourage to peoples to canal side and fallow land with participation of resident poor, local elites and in collaboration with forest department efforts to plantation scheme and awareness. Thus built and enhance a coastal buffer zone by massive plantation to act as protection shield against river erosion, stormy wind protection, and other natural disaster. This also enhance to trying to use of low carbon emitting stove.
The low lying land where the open latrines situated, causing pollutions and occur contagious diseases. The severe vulnerable households will be provided sanitary latrines which at least protect inundation of human filth, waste droppings and reduced the water borne contamination diseases, the sanitary latrines installation in high places or rising higher mount to keep avoid inundation.
The hardly vulnerable community who are the frontline victims of floods and cyclones have faced crudely safe drinking water crisis(according to need assessment survey) would be provided/installation of deep tube well support from the project so that the climatic adversity of drinking water crisis will be mitigated through using healthy pure water.
The primary school playground and other spaces will be rising by excavation of derelict ponds and canal as well.
Risk Mitigation Strategy:
- Selected and trained local volunteers could play active role solve the local problem raise by chairman, members or any others pressure group.
- Location and deep tube well will be sanctioned based on real demand as well as it will be decided from the local government support.
- The sapling collection and plantation process will be performed with the direct involvement of local nursery or related govt department
- School ground rising support also take place from the UP and School committee assistance in term of surface soil collection
- Specific location for Tube well identified difficulties resolved by direct advised from the UP administration.
- Monitoring and supervision will be take place by joint initiatives from all corners.
- In Upazilla and UP meeting the progress and problems will be shared and seek suggestion to mitigate any raise issues.
Why Donate Us ?
Accountability and transparency are core values of our organization. We are committed to using your donations to transform the lives of some of the poorest people in Bangladesh. In our work, we’re committed to subsequent the best policies. We believe that non government organization have to be accountable, transparent and effective for their work.